The depth of water at the end of a pier varies with the tides. On a particular day, the low tides occur at 2:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. with a depth of 2.1 meters. The high tides occur at 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. with a depth of 6.3 meters. A large boat needs at least 4 meters of water to be safely secure READ MORE »
- Responses: 8
- PhD, Chalmers University of Technology (Sweden), 1998
- MS (two separate), Chalmers University of Technology (Sweden), 1995
My name is Alex, and after retiring early from executive engineering management for a Fortune-100 company I now thoroughly enjoy consulting as a technical specialist, research professional, business coach, proposal writer, strategy analyst, translator, and private tutor in STEM subjects (math, science, English, ACT/SAT/GRE prep).
Following service in the Swedish Air Force as a platoon commander, I studied theoretical physics at Chalmers University of Technology in Sweden, and did formative research towards my doctorate at UC Santa Barbara. After graduating in 1998, I worked as a post-doctoral research associate at Sandia National Laboratories, as a Staff Scientist, Manager of Fuel Cell Research, and as an Executive Management Professional at Ford Motor Company, and retired from Eaton Corporation after serving as a Senior Technical Manager and subsequently World Wide Engineering Director for their Supercharger division.
I was born and raised in Sweden and have lived in the US for 17 years now. Besides a PhD in theoretical physics, geared towards material science, I also hold an MS in Civil Engineering and Engineering Physics. I have published about 40 professional articles in prominent scientific journals, been invited to present my work at dozens of scientific conferences around the world, and hold about a dozen patents/applications. I speak four languages and have traveled to over forty countries, as a technology and engineering leader, and have thus experienced many different cultures and languages. On a personal note, I love all kinds of sports and music and am a voracious reader of a wide variety of literature.
Answer the following questions about shipping lobsters. For each problem:
★ Include the equations or formulas you used.
★ Explain, in words or with mathematical steps, how you arrived at your answers. You do not have to submit sketches, but you may find that drawing parts of the problem on scr READ MORE »
1. Allen, Bonita, Chloe and Dean are four senators on a certain subcommittee. Any or none of them may be selected to another subcommittee. How many different variations for the new subcommittee are there? There will be _____possible subcommittees.
2. Use induction to predict the next three number READ MORE »
1. Interest is compounded semiannually. Find the final amount and the interest earned after the given time.
Principal - $3,000. Rate of Interest 4%. Time 3 years. The final amount in the account is $________. The interest earned is $_______.
2. Find the present value of the following future amou READ MORE »
FOR QUESTIONS 1-20 CHOOSE THE RIGHT ANSWER AND CIRCLE THE LETTER CORRESPONDING TO THE ANSWER
1) A slice of bread is squeezed into a little ball, which quantity does not change.
2) A boy measured the height of a laboratory table wi READ MORE »