1. What is the difference between natural selection and the origin of species? Explain and document three examples of species who â??suddenly appearâ?? and â??suddenly disappear. Or mutate???? What does this tell you â?¦. What are the factors????
2. Put yourself in geological time (view your area with geological time in mind in other words) where you live. The geological record tells us who is there, what kind of soil, water, plants and animals and possibly other elements that come with certain times or events. What will the geological record say about your place and this time in years to come? What will this show â?" what will be the changes from times before?
3. Discuss the change in pH, acid rain and global warming on species â?" what happens to species under the influence or in these conditions? Discuss changing conditions on land and water â?" given an example for each environment. Check out http://www.seaweb.org for one of your references.
4. What does the disruption of biodiversity mean to our future? How is
â?¢ the United Nations Programme,
â?¢ the World Resources Institute and the
â?¢ World Wildlife Fund involved in sustaining and protecting species?
List a program from each organization and how individuals can participate.
5. How would bioregional planning help where you live? Is sustainable planning in place where you live? Find out â?" state how resources from each site can help your community:
â?¢ ______________ your choice !
6. From Chapter 13, Unmined Riches â?" review the lists of plants and speciesâ?¦â?¦â?¦
What foods can be used as medicines, foods, alternative crops for wood, building and paper â?¦â?¦.what are our options â?" name four in each area â?¦â?¦â?¦â?¦.. you may also do a net search for alternate crops â?¦â?¦â?¦â?¦
7. How do we know the rates of natural regeneration of natural resources? Do a net search and find an article on this â?" write your conclusion. Look up scientific journals + regeneration of natural resources â?" what is the most interesting thing you learned? Give three examples or there are examples in the text as well.
8. Find out about the National Forest Act - do a net search
The Healthy Forest Restoration Act
or do a search on MSN news if you cannot find this or on google.com
â?¦. Is this a good plan or is this just going to allow more building and clearing of land?
9. Your opinion counts â?" how can you register your opinion with your senator http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm and representative http://www.house.gov/writerep/ ? And your local and state government? http://www.statelocalgov.net/
List their name, number, email and address. Are you going to make a statement? What will it be?