Basic Algebra and Word Problems
Please see the attached file for the fully formatted problems.
9. Solve for t 224=106-t
10. Solve for y 6=-3/2y
11. Distributive property 9(x+9)
13. Solve for w 4w-8=-12
14. Solve for y 2(y+6)-8y=-30
15. Solve for x and simplify 7/2x-3/5=x-3/2
16. Solve for x and simplify -5(x-6)=5x+40
17. Solve the inequality for v v-7<18
18. Solve inequality for z -3z+2>-25
19. Solve the inequality for w 3w+1 4/5w+3
20. A local hamburger shop sold a combined total of 821 hamburgers and cheeseburgers on Thursday. There were 71 more cheeseburgers sold than hamburgers. How many hamburgers were sold on Thursday?
21. Diane purchased a prepaid phone card for $20. Long distance calls cost 16 cents a minute using this card. Diane used her card only once to make a long distance call. If the remaining credit on her card is 15.84 , how many minutes did her call last?
22. Graph the line y=-x-1
23. Graph the line with slope 2 passing through the point (5,1)
24. Graph the inequality on a number line x>-5
25. Find the slope of the line 3x-4y=2
26. Write the equation of the following line (graph shows a line with points at (4,-8) and (0,0)
27. A line passes through the point (x,y) = (2,-8) and has a slope of -6. Write an equation for this line.
28. Write equations for the vertical and the horizontal lines passing through the point (-7,2) in (x,y) coordinates.
29. Suppose that a household's monthly water bill (in dollars) is a linear function of the amount of water the household uses (in hundreds of cubic feet, HCF). When graphed, the function gives a line with a slope of 1.65. See the figure below. (figure shows a vertical line which show monthly cost in dollars and a horizontal line which shows water usage measured in HCF, the water usage is 20 and the dollar amount is 23.66)
If the monthly bill for 20 HCF is $23.66 , what is the monthly bill for 24 HCF?
30. Find the values of x and y that solve the following system of equations
31. Find the values of x and y that solve the following system of equations
32. Find the two numbers whose sum is 42 and whose difference is 12 (call the two numbers x and y)
This question has the following supporting file(s):
A step by step solution to all the problems is provided.
This answer includes:
- Plain text
- Cited sources when necessary
- Attached file(s)
Active since 2008