System Architecture Multiple Choice Questions
System Architecture Multiple Choice Questions. See attached for full problem description.
This question has the following supporting file(s):
This answer includes:
- Plain text
- Cited sources when necessary
- Attached file(s)
- Help 2.doc
Active since 2012
Extracted Content from Question Files:
1. What name is used to describe the bit of lowest magnitude within a
byte or bit string?
a. radix point
b. low order bit
c. high order bit
d. op code
2. What is the best way to write the value '7564' and make it clear to
the reader that the number should be interpreted as a hexadecimal
3. What is the numeric range of an eight bit unsigned binary number?
4. What coding format encodes a real number as a mantissa multiplied
by a power (exponent) of two?
b. excess notation
c. floating point
d. two’s complement
5. Which of the following does not result from floating point math
d. Two’s complement
6. What character coding method is used in IBM 360 compatible
7. Which of the following data structures is a group of data elements
that usually describes a single entity or event?
c. linked list
8. The table depicts device control codes from the ____character coding
9. What is the result of adding the following two positive binary bit
10. A(n) ____ is a related group of primitive data elements that is
organized for some type of common processing.
a. data type
b. data structure
c. memory mode
11. What device performs the three functions depicted in the boxes on
the left side of the figure?
a. arithmetic logic unit
b. NAND gate
c. pointer unit
d. control unit
12. During what CPU cycle is an instruction moved from primary
storage to the control unit?
13. What type of processor does not directly implement instructions that
combine data movement and manipulation?
14. What causes heat generation within electrical devices?
c. Moore's Law
d. Rock's Law
15. What law predicted the increases in microprocessor transistor
density depicted in the figure?
a. Grosch’s Law
b. Rocks Law
c. Moore’s Law
d. Law of Diminishing Returns
16. What law predicts that the cost of a manufacturing plant and
equipment for the latest generation of microprocessors doubles every
a. Moore’s Law
b. Rock’s Law
c. Shannon’s Law
d. Gallium’s Law
17. When the control unit fetches an instruction from memory, it stores
it in the ____.
a. instruction pointer
b. program status word
c. op code
d. instruction register
18. Which of the following is a microchip that contains all of the circuits
and connections that implement a CPU?
d. Heat sink
19. Which of the following is a storage location that holds inputs and
outputs for the ALU?
a. Control unit
c. I/O device
20. The ____ tests the bit values in the source location and places copies
of those values in the destination location.