20 Multiple choice questions on muscles and bones
1. The basic unit of contraction is the
2. A cord or strap of dense tissue that connects a muscle to bone is called a:
3. The functional partners of bone is:
c. Skeletal muscle
4. What are dark bands that define the two ends of each sacromeres called.
5. This is the explanation of how muscles contract.
a. Lock and Key Hypothesis
b. Cell Theory
c. Mendels laws
d. Sliding filament model
6. The "thick" muscle filament is composed of:
7. After intense exercise, what helps repay the body's oxygen debt?
8. A motor unit is made up of _________________
a. all the muscle fibers within a given muscle
b. a motor neuron and the muscle fibers it innervates
c. all the neurons going into an individual section of the body
d. a fascicle and a nerve
9. The structure that connects muscles to bones is the ______
10. The fiber cell membrane is termed the ______
11. Which of the following does not belong with the others?
12. The smallest, functional unit of contraction is the
13. What type of contraction is characterized by a rapid, jerky response to a single
14. Which of the following is not performed by muscles?
c. maintenance of posture
d. heat production
15. Muscle tissue refers to all contractile tissue. To what does the term muscular system
most often refer?
a. skeletal muscle system
b. cardiac muscle system
c. visceral muscle system
d. computerized muscle tissue
16. The all-or-none response means that
a. all of the muscles in a region contract together.
b. all of the muscle fibers within a muscle contract together.
c. when a muscle fiber contracts, it contracts completely.
d. when a muscle fiber contracts, all of its ATP is changed to ADP
17. What are the actin and myosin filaments in muscle composed of?
a. Nucleic acids
b. Fatty acids
18. What triggers the release of calcium ions from the sarcoplasmic reticulum?
a. Formation of actin-myosin cross-bridges
b. Sarcomere contraction
c. An action potential
d. An increase in calcium ion concentration
19. A skeletal muscle is stimulated to contract when its plasma membrane is excited by a
message from a_____________ . This message is received at the neuromuscular
a. sensory neuron
b. motor unit
c. motor neuron
20. Approximately how many skeletal muscles are there in the human body?
Answers and explanations to 20 Multiple choice questions on muscles and bones.
This answer includes:
- Plain text
- Cited sources when necessary
Active since 2003